Runway Recap: Backstage Beauty at Lela Rose Spring 2019
Always one of our favorite designers to work with, Lela Rose was at the forefront of moving from traditional runway shows to experiential presentations that really bring the collection theme to life. This season, Lela took her models (and show-goers) on a boat for mini lobster rolls, all-you-can-eat oysters and of course, the all-too-trending Aperol Spritz.
Staged on the docked boat/ Tribeca hot spot, the Grand Bands, her Spring 2019 collection was full of bright, poppy hues and nautical prints. To complement the sea-inspired collection, our Artistic Directors, Giovanni and Kelli, created chic and playful beauty looks that featured a matte coral lip and sleek low pony.
See tips and product picks from our experts and infuse a little boat-bound beauty into your life!
MAKEUP (Keyed by Kelli J Bartlett )
THE LOOK: An ombre matte electric coral lip paired with fresh-faced skin, accentuated with a super hydrating highlight.
1. The lip is created by layering several lip pencils. Start with MAC Lasting Sensation Lip Pencil all over the lip.
2. Then, layer MAC Cherry Lip Pencil in the center of the lip, blurring together with a brush. Finish by pressing a neon orange pigment all over the lip and then removing the lips edge with a Q-tip to create a blurred effect.
3. For the face, use several different shades of the Too Faced Born this Way Super Coverage Multi-Use Sculpting Concealer to give the skin natural highlights and lowlights.
4. For the eye, wash a taupe-gray eye shadow across the browbone to create natural depth.
HAIR (Keyed by Giovanni Vaccaro )
THE LOOK: A sleek low pony accentuated with a chic scarf.
1. Create a straight, exaggerated side part using the arch of the eyebrow as your guide.
2. Then, use Bumble & Bumble Prep Primer all over to de-tangle hair, followed by the Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer to smooth out strands.
3. Take 2-inch sections and flatiron from roots to ends. (Take smaller sections around the hairline to get it super smooth and eliminate any frizz or flyaways.)
4. Mix Shu Uemura Kengo Feather Hair Cream with Ouai Finishing Creme for a product that will offer the ultimate blend of shine and hold. Apply the product on the part and around the hairline to keep the hair super silky smooth.
5. Next, spray the hair with Kerastase Laque Couture to keep it in place and prep for the pony.
6. To create the low pony, gather all hair an inch above the neckline and secure it with a strong elastic.
7. For the final step, take a head scarf and place it slightly behind the front hairline, wrapping it under the pony and knotting it over the pony.